Monday, December 19, 2005

Urban Hiking

Urban Hiking: the walking within a cityscape for purposes other than shopping, commuting or any other task, really. Who said you need a patch of woods to get out there? Walking in the city affords the walker just as many interesting things to look at, albeit in a very different environment. If you are a purist as far as silence, clean air and wildlife, urban hiking may not be for you. But if you have an open mind, a sense of adventure and you never cease to be fascinated by people, this is definitely something you should try.

I'm embarking on an expedition-size urban hiking project: to walk all the streets of New York City, all its five boroughs. I haven't yet figured out how many miles I'm going to be looking at, but I'm sure it's probably more than a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. This project will take me a few years, not doubt, especially since I can't walk everyday and, to be honest, I'm a fair weather walker... if it's too cold, or too wet I'm probably staying in.

I will write here about the people I meet, things I learn and general musings that are often the result of having too much time to think, all of which I hope you'll find at least a bit entertaining. So join me, from the comfort of your cluttered computer desk, from pretending to work while not actually working, or form the corner coffee shop and lets see what we can find.

No comments: